When you’re ready to invest in professional SAG & AFTRA headshots choosing the right headshot photographer in New York is critical. Here are a few tips of what to look for in a professional SAG headshot photographer to make sure you get the most out of your investment and have a great time in the process.
- A great SAG headshot photographer will make you feel that they really care about you. They should take the time to understand why you need a headshot and how you plan to use your new headshot. For example, a business headshot for Linkedin is different than a modeling comp card image or acting headshot, and acting headshots for dramatic work are different than modeling headshots for commercial print work. The best photographers will ask you the right questions to help you clarify what you need and then shoot in a style that accomplishes that.
- The best headshot photographers should have a fun and relaxing personality that puts you at ease. Are you comfortable traveling to someones private home in the woods or do you prefer the hustel and bustle of a professional studio environment seconds from Metro North? But equally important they should be able to bring down your defenses and allow your true essence to shine through. In fact a great headshot photography session should be fun!
- The best professional headshot photographers should give you ample guidance during the shoot. They should give you helpful feedback during your session and help guide you through poses and adjustments where you feel comfortable and relaxed. It’s their job to bring out the best in you.
- Many New York photographers will give you the option for both a studio shoot and/or an outdoor shoot, so make sure you ask your photographer if they have a photography studio. If they don’t have a professional photography studio they will likely ask to meet outdoors somewhere, which can make it more difficult to change outfits or leave your personal belongings in a safe place while shooting. If you’re only going for one look that can work well, however if your intention is to create a range of images for acting or a modeling comp card shooting only outdoors can be challenging, especially if the weather isn’t ideal.
- Top headshot photographers should offer you different backgrounds and lighting setups so you come away from your photoshoot session with a range of different images to choose from. A great headshot photographer cares about helping you maximize the return on this important investment you’re making in yourself.
- The best headshot photographers should be great photo retouchers too. Headshot retouching should leave a person looking like themselves at their best, but not overdone. Some symptoms of bad photo retouching include blurry skin, weirdly electric eyes, totally erased wrinkles and possibly distorted facial contours. Good retouching looks like no retouching at all. The best facial retouching looks like the person’s inner light is shining through. Westchester Headshot studios shoots your entire session in Canon RAW with Phase One Capture One PRO 20 and processes final edits with Photoshop CC2018/19.
- Professional portrait photographers should be easy to communicate with and should be available and present to you both before, during and after your photoshoot. You’ll immediately see the difference when shooting directly “Capture One Pro 20 tethered” to our Samsung 60″ LED monitor. Before and during the shoot they should help dispel any anxiety you’re experiencing and after the shoot they should support you through selecting your final images. Your photographer should make you feel supported and cared for throughout the whole process.
- The very best acting headshot photographers will have experience in the industry and will be able to offer you helpful guidance on what to do with your acting headshots next in order to book more work, whether you’re looking to start with Central Casting, Grant Wilfley of have an extensive union IMDB.
- The best professional headshot photographers will have a policy for reshooting if you aren’t happy with the outcome of your initial photoshoot. At every step you should feel like they care about your happiness and satisfaction. Westchester Headshot absolutely guarantees your photos will be perfect.
- And the very best headshot photographer is not just your photographer, they become your friend 🙂
Capture One Pro 20
Adobe Photoshop 2019
Canon 5Ds Canon Mark IV
Phase One 100-150mp Medium Format for large print format production work
SAG Headshots & Westchester Headshots shoots exclusively with G2 Series of Tamron Lenses.